I was never a fan of rainbow chard and low and behold it miraculously appeared in my garden . It grew in abundance and no amount of neglect would finish it off. So not being in the habit of wasting a home grown, healthy vegy, I experimented until I came up with this yummy side dish that has the distinct flavors of the Mediterranean.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 1 large bowl chard washed and roughly chopped
- 1 medium brown onion diced
- 1 birdseye chili finely diced with the seeds (optional)
- 1 clove garlic finely diced
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/3 cup rice uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Thoroughly wash the chard and cut into large slices using both the leaves and stalk.
- In a medium sized saucepan, gently heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic for around 10 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chard and chili and saute for a minute or two until the chard wilts.
- Pour in the tomato puree and water, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and continue to simmer with the lid on for a further 10 to 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked. You might like to add a little extra water to create more of a sauce consistency.
- Remove from the heat, allow to stand for 5 minutes and serve.
This dish will keep refrigerated for 3 days and is microwavable.
Share this Recipe