Corned Silverside or Corned Beef has stood the test of time because it ticks so many boxes. It is a simple, fool proof and economical cook of extremely lean meat and above all tastes delicious. You can create a one pot meal by adding your choice of veggies to the pot towards the end of cooking, and dinner is served.
|Cook Time||2 hours|
- 2kgs corned silverside
- 1/2 cup white vinegar optional
- 1 tbs brown sugar optional
- 1 large stock pot with a lid
- Remove the meat from the plastic bag and place it into the stock pot.
- Cover with cold water and add the vinegar and brown sugar if using and bring to the boil. If you don't have the vinegar or sugar in your pantry, you can omit them and the meat will still be delicious.
- When the water comes to the boil, turn down to a very gentle simmer. Cook for two hours or for one hour per kilo with the lid on.
- After two hours, gently lift out the meat, slice thinly and serve. *see notes
To make an easy one pot meal with the silverside, simply add your choice of veggies to the pot in increments according to their individual cooking times. In the picture above, I added carrots after 1 hour, the large cauliflower florets with half an hour of cooking to go and then large zucchini slices with 10 minutes to go. After the addition of each vegetable, increase the heat a little to quickly bring it back to the boil (keeping an eye on the pot to prevent it boiling over) and then reset to a gentle simmer. Gently lift out the vegetables with a slotted spoon.
Share this Recipe