This is my super healthy and tasty go to salad that I seem to go to 3 or 4 times a week. Its ridiculously easy and it’s a family favorite. I always use the basic ingredients and add as many of the optional ingredients as I fancy on the day. Peta, this one’s for you.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
- 1 small bag mixed leaves or 1 large handful of leaves per person ( i use a mix of spinach & rocket)
- 1 bunch asparagus approximately 2 or 3 spears per person
- 1/2 avocado ripe but firm
- 1/2 small lemon juice of
- a splash olive oil
- a pinch salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1 or 2 tbs pepita (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 or 2 tbs fresh pemegranate seeds
- 1 or 2 tbs dried cranberries re hydrated in a little hot water for 1/2 hour and drained
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/4 small spanish onion thinly sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber quartered and sliced into large dice
For The Salad
- Peel the avocado and dice into 1 cm chunks. Place the salad leaves, asparagus and avocado into a large bowl and sprinkle with a little cracked pepper and salt. Pour over enough lemon juice and a splash of olive oil to coat the leaves. Toss gently until until everything glistens. Spread onto a serving plate and scatter with some or all of the optional ingredients as desired.
For the Asparagus
- Remove the woody end from the asparagus and cut each spear into halves or thirds. Place into a small pot of gently simmering water for one or two minutes (don’t overcook, they need to be slightly crunchy). Drain and immediately plunge into a bowl of iced water to retain their color and stop the cooking process. When they are cold, drain and spread out onto paper towel to remove excess water.
For The Sweet Potato
- Peel and slice the potato into 1cm discs. Rub with a little oil and spread onto a baking tray. Bake at 180° for about 20 minutes or until cooked through. Cool and cut into random chunks to scatter on the salad
Share this Recipe