As the name suggests, this salad has all the flavours of tabouli with the addition of the broad beans and chick peas and the pop and crunch of the sweeet pomegranate seeds. A perfect side dish of vibrant colours for the Cristmas table.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
- 1/2 cup coarse burghul
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup canned chick peas drained
- 1 cup broad beans blanched and peeled
- 2 medium firm ripe tomatoes chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber halved & sliced
- 1/2 pomegranate seeds ( use the whole pomegranate if you wish )
- 2 spring ionions thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the burghul in the boiling water for around 20 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed. Set aside.
- Blanch the broad beans for 3 minutes in a small pot of boiling water. Drain and submurge in iced water until cold. When the beans are cold, drain and peel them. * You can substitute for frozen broad beans. Cook as per packet instructions, submerge in iced water and peel the outer skin.
- Remove the seeds from the pomegranate. Contrary to popular opionion, I find the easiest way to do this is by digging them out with a teaspoon. Many suggest whacking the back of the fruit with a wooden spoon to release the seeds . Not a successful method in my opinion as you and your entire kitchen will be splattered in red . Either way, remove the seeds and drain off the juice.
- Halve the cucmber and slice thinly.
- Cut the tomatoes into large dice.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine all of the slald ingredients and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Just befor serving, give the dressing another good shake , pour over the salad, mix well to combine and serve.
Share this Recipe