Cherry Mostarda is the condiment that compliments. As a spread on your favorite BBQ or cured meat, to a sweet, slightly savory accompaniment to a cheese platter. A little goes a long way and a batch of Mostarda will last for months refrigerated in a sealed jar.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 500 g cherries
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 dsp white mustard seeds
- 11/2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt flakes
- Firstly halve and pit the cherries and set aside. This job is a little tedious and messy. ( Try to purchase ripe but firm cherries to make life easier )
- In a small, heavy based pan, mix all of the ingredients (except for the cherries) and slowly bring to the boil making sure the sugar has dissolved before reaching boiling point.
- Add the cherries and simmer on a medium heat ( without the lid), for approximately 40 to 50 minutes..
- After 40 minutes, test the mostarda as you would jam. Place a small amount of the Cherry liquid onto a plate, wipe your finger through the center of the liquid. If the liquid remains in two sections, without running together, it is ready. The Mosatra will become more jam like as it cools.
- Pour into a small, sterilized preserving jar and seal. Refrigerate when cool
Cherry Mostarda is the perfect accompaniment to any cheese board.
Share this Recipe