|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||3 hours|
- 1 kg gravy beef or chuck steak Cut into 3 or 4cm cubes *see notes
- 2 large washed potatoes peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 medium carrots peeled and cut into thick slices
- 250 g frozen green beans
- 1 Cup beef stock
- 2 heaped tbs plain flour very heaped tbs
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbs fresh rosemary finely diced. or 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Large casserole dish
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- In a large pan, heat the oil to medium high.
- Add the meat and brown well.
- Lower the heat and sprinkle the flour over the meat. Stir until the meat is thoroughly coated.
- Add the cup of beef stock and an extra half a cup of water. Stir for a minute or two to lift off any crust formed from the browning meat and create a gravy . Remove from the heat and pour or ladle into the casserole dish.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, herbs, salt and pepper into the casserole dish.
- Cover with cold water to just above your ingredients.
- Place the lid on the casserole dish and bake for 2 1/2 hours. Check occasionally and add extra water if necessary. If you overdo the liquid, remove the lid and continue to cook uncovered until the sauce reduces a little.
- After 2 1/2 hours, add the beans. Return to the oven and bake for a further half an hour.
- Serve with a side of mashed potato or steamed rice.
Keep your meat cubes on the larger side to prevent it becoming dry.
Don’t remove any fat from the meat. The fat will help keep it moist and add flavour to the dish.
Beef casserole reheats well. You might need to add a little extra water as the sauce tends to thicken.
Ideal to divide into portions and freeze. Will freeze for up to 6 months.
Share this Recipe